- 2 large cans sliced beets
- 2 large white onions, sliced
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons pickling spice
- 4 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- Drain the beets, discarding the liquid.
- Slice the onion in thin strips.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large pan to make a pickling liquid.
- Boil then reduce to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Sterilize 6 pint size canning jars and rings in a pot of boiling water and let cool.
- Drain the pickling liquid, discarding solids.
- Layer the beets and onions starting with beets and ending with onions. Pack slightly.
- Ladle pickling liquid over the beets and onion, making sure the jars are filled with liquid.
- Let jars sit until they are cool.
- Screw on the lid and store in the refrigerator.
Source: Based on https://whatsintheoven.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/pickled-beets/
- 1 pound of bacon, cut into 1′ pieces
- 1/4 cup bacon grease
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 2 pounds of potatoes, cut into 1/2′ pieces
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces sour cream
- In a large pot, fry bacon until crispy and reserve 1/4 cup of the bacon grease.
- Take the bacon out and drain on a paper towel.
- With the grease in the pot, sautee the onion and thyme until soft.
- Sprinkle the flour in and whisk together for about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Add the potatoes and milk.
- Let come to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the sour cream and cheese.
Adapted from: http://sugarapron.com/2015/11/02/creamy-potato-soup/
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1 bag frozen spinach, well drained
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup small pasta
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, eggs, cheese, basil, onion, pepper and salt.
- Mix well with your hands.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out meatball mixture and form into balls.
- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil.
- Once boiling, add in the meatballs, spinach, carrots and celery.
- Cook until the meatballs are done through.
- Add in the pasta and cook according to package directions.
Adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13434/mamas-italian-wedding-soup/
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups peaches, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Melt the butter and pour into a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the milk and stir just until the dry ingredients are moist.
- Pour the batter into the pan, but don’t mix.
- Slice peaches and sprinkle 1 cup of sugar on them plus the lemon juice.
- Pour the peaches into the pan, but don’t mix.
- Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.
- 3 sticks butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 ounce container sour cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh peaches, diced
- Cream the butter in a stand mixer.
- Add the sugar and beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs in one at a time, until the yolks are combined.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the mixer.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla.
- Add the rest of the flour mixer.
- Stir in the peaches,
- Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- Pour batter into the pan.
- Bake at 325 for about 1 hour 30 minutes (start checking about 1 hour 20 minutes).
- Let cool in the pan 15 minutes.
- Turn out on a cake plate and let cool completely.
- 4 potatoes, sliced on a mandolin
- 2 onions, sliced into rings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounce bag of cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice potatoes and onion into about 1/4 inch pieces using a mandolin.
- In a greased baking dish layer potatoes and onions, beginning with potatoes.
- In a skillet, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk together.
- Let brown slightly to cook out the flour.
- Add milk and let thicken slightly.
- Add cheese, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Pour cheese sauce over the potatoes.
- Bake at 375 for 1.5 hours.