1 cup stout such as Guinness
1 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
6 ounces good semisweet chocolate chips
6 tablespoons heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter or spray a bundt pan well; make sure you get in all of the nooks and crannies.
- Bring 1 cup stout and 1 cup butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Cool slightly.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in large bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend.
- Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine.
- Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed.
- Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer cake to rack; cool completely in the pan, then turn cake out onto rack for drizzling ganache.
- For the ganache, melt the chocolate, heavy cream, and coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
- Drizzle over the top of cooled cake.