- 2 large cans sliced beets
- 2 large white onions, sliced
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons pickling spice
- 4 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- Drain the beets, discarding the liquid.
- Slice the onion in thin strips.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large pan to make a pickling liquid.
- Boil then reduce to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Sterilize 6 pint size canning jars and rings in a pot of boiling water and let cool.
- Drain the pickling liquid, discarding solids.
- Layer the beets and onions starting with beets and ending with onions. Pack slightly.
- Ladle pickling liquid over the beets and onion, making sure the jars are filled with liquid.
- Let jars sit until they are cool.
- Screw on the lid and store in the refrigerator.
Source: Based on https://whatsintheoven.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/pickled-beets/
- 6 roasted beets, thinly sliced*
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- I sterilized my jars and lids. I used a large stock pot and filled it with water. I boiled the jars while the beets were roasting. I let the jars cool in the water while I prepared the beets and pickling liquid.
- Remove the skin from the beets. The easiest way to do this is by using an old, but clean, nubby towel. Rub the beets in the towel. You will ruin the towel (though bleach might bring it back).
- In a small pot boil the rest of the ingredients (Boiling vinegar fumes can be nasty for those with respiratory problems, use your range hood).
- Arrange beets in the sterilized 1-quart jars alternating layers with the onion.
- After the liquid has boiled a few minutes, strain.
- Pour over the beets.
- Tightly lid the jars and place in the refrigerator for 3 to 7 days before serving.
6 medium beets, cleaned but not peeled
A small onion
A garlic clove, chopped
Sprinkling of Italian seasoning
2-3 teaspoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl toss all of the ingredients. Place into a foil pouch and roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
Adapted from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pickled-beets-recipe.html