- 2 large cans sliced beets
- 2 large white onions, sliced
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons pickling spice
- 4 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- Drain the beets, discarding the liquid.
- Slice the onion in thin strips.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large pan to make a pickling liquid.
- Boil then reduce to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Sterilize 6 pint size canning jars and rings in a pot of boiling water and let cool.
- Drain the pickling liquid, discarding solids.
- Layer the beets and onions starting with beets and ending with onions. Pack slightly.
- Ladle pickling liquid over the beets and onion, making sure the jars are filled with liquid.
- Let jars sit until they are cool.
- Screw on the lid and store in the refrigerator.
Source: Based on https://whatsintheoven.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/pickled-beets/