- 1 lb jalapeño peppers
- 1 lb white onions
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 Tablespoons whole peppercorns
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- I sterilized my jars and lids. I used a large stock pot and filled it with water. I boiled the jars while I prepared the peppers and onions. I let the jars cool in the water while I prepared the pickling liquid.
- Remove the tops of the peppers and slice into rings. If you remove the seeds, the final product will be milder.
- Slice the onioin.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, add vinegars, lime juice, water, salt, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns and sugar.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to keep at a simmer.
- Layer the peppers and onions in your jars.
- Fill the jars with brine, leaving a bit of head room.
- Tap the jars on the counter to get out any air bubbles.
- Close the jars and refrigerate. You could properly can at this step for a shelf stable product or just leave in the refrigerator.
Source: An amalgamation of various recipes around the web
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup plus another 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- In a medium saucepan, cook the bacon and the jalapeno over medium, stirring occasionally, until bacon is browned, about 8 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the mixture to a small bowl.
- Remove pan from heat and carefully add 4 1/2 cups water.
- Bring liquid to a boil over high and whisk in the grits until mixture begins to thicken
- Reduce heat to low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, 25 minutes or until creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper and add three-fourths the bacon mixture.
- Pour into a 2-quart serving dish and top with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and remaining bacon mixture.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 jalapeño peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and diced or shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup corn
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook the bacon in a large sauce pan until crispy, set aside on paper towels to drain and pour off the excess grease.
- Heat the oil in the pan over medium heat, add onion and jalapeño peppers and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, bacon, chicken and beans and simmer for 15 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the corn, cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stir it in until the cheeses melt.