- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup plus another 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- In a medium saucepan, cook the bacon and the jalapeno over medium, stirring occasionally, until bacon is browned, about 8 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the mixture to a small bowl.
- Remove pan from heat and carefully add 4 1/2 cups water.
- Bring liquid to a boil over high and whisk in the grits until mixture begins to thicken
- Reduce heat to low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, 25 minutes or until creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper and add three-fourths the bacon mixture.
- Pour into a 2-quart serving dish and top with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and remaining bacon mixture.