- 1 pound of bacon, cut into 1′ pieces
- 1/4 cup bacon grease
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 2 pounds of potatoes, cut into 1/2′ pieces
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces sour cream
- In a large pot, fry bacon until crispy and reserve 1/4 cup of the bacon grease.
- Take the bacon out and drain on a paper towel.
- With the grease in the pot, sautee the onion and thyme until soft.
- Sprinkle the flour in and whisk together for about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Add the potatoes and milk.
- Let come to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the sour cream and cheese.
Adapted from: http://sugarapron.com/2015/11/02/creamy-potato-soup/