- 1 pound elbow macaroni or shells
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 pound cheese, shredded
- Cook pasta in salted, boiling water until al dente then drain.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter.
- Sprinkle in the flour and whisk to combine.
- Cook the butter/flour mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Add the milk and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the mustard and whisk to combine.
- Take about a cup of your sauce and add it to the bowl with the egg.
- Whisk as you add as to not scramble the egg.
- Transfer the sauce/egg mixture back into the pot.
- Add your cheese and stir well.
- Add in the drained pasta and stir to combine.
- Pour into a buttered 9×13 pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.