- 1 gallon vegetable broth (not low sodium)
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 tablespoon all spice berries
- 1/2 tablespoon candied ginger
- Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot and bring to a boil. Boil long enough for the sugar and salt to be dissolved.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When you’re ready to brine the turkey, pour into a large, clean bucket. Add 1 gallon of heavily iced water.
- Place the turkey breast side down.
- Brine for 4-6 hours, turning the turkey once so the breast is up.
Good Eats “Romancing the Bird”