- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3-4 pounds chicken pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon onions powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Whisk together the buttermilk, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a bowl.
- Place the chicken into a flat container with a lid or in a gallon zip lock bag.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture over the chicken.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 8 hours.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, combine the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne in another plastic bag or bowl and combine.
- Transfer one marinated chicken piece at a time into the dry ingredients, and shake well to ensure complete coverage.
- After all chicken pieces are coated, repeat the process by dipping them in the buttermilk marinade and shaking in the dry coating again.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, making sure not to burn the oil.
- When the oil is hot, shallow fry the chicken in batches until golden brown.
- Place on a cookie tray and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees internally.
Source: My kitchen