- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound bacon, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
- Sauté the onions in a bit of butter or oil until they start to brown.
- Add the mushrooms cooking until they soften then move into a separate bowl.
- Heat the butter in a medium, deep skillet over medium heat.
- When the butter melts add flour and whisk, cooking about three minutes or until the flour starts to brown.
- Slowly add milk while continuing to whisk.
- Gently bring milk to a bubble while stirring frequently and allow it to thicken a bit.
- Stir in the cheese a handful at a time.
- Season sauce with pepper and mustard.
- Add the onions, mushrooms and bacon.
- Add cooked pasta to sauce and coat completely.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish and brown under a hot broiler.