- 2 pounds apples (I use whatever kind I have on hand)
- 1 1/3 cups apple juice (you can use water as well)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (optional, to taste)
- Peel and core your apples then chop them into pieces.
- Combine the juice, vanilla, sugar, honey and spices in a bowl and mix until disolved (as best you can).
- Combine the apples and liquid mixture in a large pot.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes or until the apples get mushy and the liquid is reduced.
- Use a blender to puree the applesauce to the desired consistency being careful not to overfill the blender carafe. A stick blender would work well, too.
Source: My kitchen as inspired by my grandmother