- 12 eggs
- 1/2 gallon whole milk*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Prepare a strainer with a large layer of cheese cloth or clean dish towel.
- Add eggs to a large pot.
- Whisk to break up yolks.
- Add the milk, salt and vanilla.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- When curds and whey have separated, pour them through the strainer.
- Let drain well.
- Transfer to clean cheese cloth or towel.
- Twist into a ball and let hang for about a day.
Source: Elek family recipe (Traditional Slovenian Easter cheese)
*Most recipes I’ve seen on the web call for only a quart of milk. We’ve always had better luck with a half gallon. You can definitely start with a quart and if it seems like there aren’t enough curds, you can add in additional milk.