- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked and cooled
- 1 quart fresh strawberries,sliced
- 3 Tablespoons brandy (or your favorite liquor), optional
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- Macerate berries in sugar (amount depends on how sweet the berries are) and brandy for a couple hours to overnight.
- Drain the berries, reserving the liquid.
- Blend the remaining berries (I use a stick blender, but a regular one should work) and combine them with the sugar and the reserved juice in a medium saucepan.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Allow the liquid to reduce slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water.
- Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture.
- Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. It will turn out like a glaze.
- Let the resulting glaze (it will be similar to the stuff you can buy in the produce department, though not clear) chill.
- Spread a small amount of your strawberry glaze in the baked pie shell.
- Combine the rest of the strawberries with the rest of the glaze and pour into the pie shell.
- Chill for several hours before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/strawberry-pie-ii/