- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for liberal drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup panko
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 3 rounded tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups freshly shredded Pecorino cheese
- Heat grill pan over high heat.
- Coat the chicken in extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill about 12 minutes, turning occasionally, then set aside.
- Bring water in saucepot to a boil for the pasta.
- Salt the water, add pasta and undercook by 1 minute.
- While the pasta cooks, melt 6 tablespoons butter in a separate saucepot.
- Spoon out 1/2 and toss with the panko to moisten.
- Combine the panko with 1/2 the grated Pecorino and reserve.
- To the remaining melted butter, add the garlic and anchovy paste, lots of coarse black pepper, stir 2 minutes then whisk in flour then stock, milk, and Worcestershire, thicken until it coats a spoon, then stir in the remaining half of the grated Pecorino.
- Drain the pasta.
- Halve the chicken breasts lengthwise, then thinly slice and combine with the pasta and sauce, transfer to a casserole and top with the bread crumbs.