- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed of all excess liquid, and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion (1 large)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 cups cubed French or Italian bread in 1-inch cubes
- 6 ounces coarsely grated Gruyère
- 2 ounces finely grated parmesan
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 9 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Sauté onion in butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and nutmeg and continue cooking for one minute.
- Stir in spinach, remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread one third of the bread cubes in a well-buttered 3-quart gratin dish or other ceramic baking dish.
- Top with one-third of bread cubes,one-third of spinach mixture and one-third of each cheese.
- Repeat layering twice with remaining bread, spinach and cheese.
- Whisk eggs, milk, mustard and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in a large bowl and pour evenly over strata.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill strata for eat least 8 hours or up to a day.
- The next day, let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes while preheating the oven to 350°F.
- Bake strata, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed, golden brown, and cooked through, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.