- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 2/3 cups buttermilk, shaken well
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking soda into a large bowl, then whisk them together to make sure they’re combined well.
- Pour in the buttermilk and using a wooden spoon, stir everything together until it forms a dough.
- The dough will be wet and shaggy at this point.
- Lightly dust your work surface and your hands with flour, then turn the dough out and knead it gently, just until it comes together a bit better.
- Pat it into a smooth circle 1 inch deep and transfer it to the lined baking tray, then cut a deep cross in the center.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, checking it halfway through the cooking time to rotate the tray and ensure it isn’t browning too quickly.
- When it’s done, it should be golden brown and the bottom will sound hollow when you tap it.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before you slice it.