- 2 1/4 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 cup ground walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 and spray a 12 cup Bundt pan with Pam for Baking (or your favorite non stick baking spray).
- In large bowl blend flour, 1 1/4 cup sugar and baking soda.
- In a stand mixer cream the butter, lemon juice and vanilla then mix in the flour mixture.
- At a low speed beat in egg yolks one at a time until blended.
- Add nuts (optional).
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites till frothy.
- Next, add salt and cream of tartar then gradually add the 1 cup of sugar, beating well after each addition.
- Continue beating the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold in beaten egg whites into cake batter, about a third at a time.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until cake tests done.
- Do not open oven for the first hour of baking.
- Now turn off oven and leave cake in oven for 15 minutes, remove to cool in pan for 15 minutes then turn out onto wire rack or serving plate to finish cooling.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.
Source: Marks family recipe