- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 cups arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 425.
- Bring the chicken broth to a low simmer in a saucepan.
- Toss the broccoli with the olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large Dutch oven or ovenproof pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat.
- Pour in the wine and cook until evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Add the hot broth, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; bring to a boil.
- Cover and set on the bottom oven rack. Place the broccoli on the upper rack.
- Bake, stirring the rice and broccoli once halfway through cooking, until most of the liquid has been absorbed in the rice and the broccoli is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the rice and broccoli from the oven.
- Add 3/4 cup hot water, the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and the cheese to the rice and stir until creamy (add a little more hot water to loosen, if necessary).
- Stir in the broccoli.