- 1.5 pounds hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 ounce can tomato puree
- 3/4 cup dark red wine, we use Burgundy
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tbl Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbl salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3-4 shakes tabasco sauce
- Brown sausage and drain if necessary.
- Add onions and garlic and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes and tomato puree. Stir well to combine.
- Add ketchup and wine. Stir.
- Add spices, salt and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 2 hours. Taste along the way and adjust seasoning.
Source: Marks family recipe
Note: If you don’t like spice, use mild sausage and omit the Cayenne and tabasco. If you do like spice, you can also add crushed red pepper flakes to taste.