- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups (one pint) sour cream, room temperature
- 4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons (one stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Generously butter the inside of a 10-inch springform pan. Wrap a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil tightly around the outside bottom and sides, crimping and pleating the foil to make it conform to the pan. Preheat the oven to 300.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the sour cream until well blended.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat the cream cheese with the butter until smooth and creamy. Add this to the egg-sour cream mixture and beat until smooth.
- Add the sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest and beat thoroughly, about 2 minutes.
- Pour into the prepared springform pan and place in a roasting pan (or other pan) large enough to prevent the sides from touching.
- Place in the oven and carefully pour in enough very hot tap water to reach halfway up the sides of the springform pan.
- Bake for 2 hours, 15 minutes, or until the cake is very lightly colored and a knife inserted in the center emerges clean.
- Remove from the water bath and carefully peel the aluminum foil from around the pan.
- Let stand at room temperature until completely cool, about 4 hours.
- Refrigerate, covered, until well chilled. For best flavor and texture, this cheesecake is best chilled overnight.