- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, such as Valhrona
- 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 24 peppermint Kisses
- Adjust oven rack to upper and lower middle positions and preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, and espresso (if using). Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Add dry ingredients and mix just until dough comes together.
- Use a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop to drop dough onto prepared cookie sheets. Cook until starting dough just starts to crinkle at the top, 12-15 minutes.
- Press a kiss into the center of each cookie. Let cool completely before serving or storing in an airtight container.