serves serves 12, active time 45 minutes, total time 3 hours 45 minutes
- 44 chocolate wafers, divided, finely ground (see note)
- 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- Pinch salt
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- 7 tablespoons coffee liquor (such as Kahlua), divided
- 3 1/3 cups heavy cream, chilled, divided
- Pulse 36 wafer cookies in food processor until finely ground. Place crumbs in large bowl and stir in melted butter, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 2 teaspoons water until thoroughly moistened. Firmly press into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Pulse remaining 8 cookies until finely ground and set aside.
- Place chocolate in large heatproof bowl and melt over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring, until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon water to small microwave safe bowl and sprinkle gelatin over the top. Let sit 5 minutes to soften. Heat in microwave on high power until just melted, 10 to 20 seconds.
- Whisk 6 tablespoons coffee liquor into melted chocolate. Whisk in melted gelatin.
- Whip 2 1/3 cups cream with 1 tablespoon sugar to medium peaks. Fold cream into chocolate in 3 batches, until just combined. Gently fold in reserved chocolate wafer crumbs. Pour into pie shell and chill until set, about 3 hours.
- Whip remaining cup cream with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar to soft peak. Fold in remaining tablespoon coffee liquor. Serve on the side.