serves Serves 4, active time 30 minutes, total time 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup rum
- 4 bananas, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces on the bias
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices hearty white bread
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- Heat half of butter in a medium non stick skillet until melted, add 1/3 cup brown sugar and rum and stir until sugar has begun to melt. Add sliced bananas and turn heat down to low. Cook, stirring occasionally until bananas are cooked and coated in the sugar mixture, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a shallow dish whisk together milk, eggs, remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and vanilla extract. In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium high heat. Dip 4 slices of bread in the milk and egg mixture making sure both sides are coated and the bread has begun to saturate, then place in the pan. Cook swirling gently, until browned, about 3 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until browned on second side, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a warm serving platter. Repeat with remaining bread and batter.
- Divide toast between 4 plates, then top each plate with banana mixture and whipped cream if desired.