- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno chile (or more to taste), seeds, stems and ribs removed and discarded, chopped
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 pounds chopped zucchini (skin on), about 5-6 cups
- 1 1/2 cups chopped day-old bread
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves , loosely packed, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, loosely packed, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and jalapeno chile and sauté for 4-5 minutes until the onions are translucent, but not browned. Add the garlic and zucchini and sauté for another 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Sprinkle with salt.
2 Add the bread, broth, and water, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
3 Remove from heat. Add the mint and cilantro (if using). Purée in a blender or food processor until smooth, working in batches if necessary. Or use an immersion blender.
4 Return the soup to the pot. Add the lemon juice, and salt, and pepper to taste.
Garnish with lemon wedges and sprigs of mint or cilantro.
Serve hot or chilled. Keeps for a week in the fridge.