- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 10-15 cranks freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Mince the garlic and add it to a sauce pot along with the olive oil, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, red pepper flakes, and freshly cracked pepper. Turn the heat on to medium-low and sauté for about 2 minutes, or until the garlic has softened.
- Add the tomato paste and brown sugar. Stir until everything is mixed (the oil will stay partially separated). Cook the mixture while stirring continuously for 3-5 minutes, or until it takes on a darker, almost burgundy hue.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth. Whisk the mixture together until smooth. Turn the heat up to medium and heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.