serves Serves 6, active time 20 minutes, total time 1 hour
- 1 recipe pie crust (see note above)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound ham steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- Adjust oven to middle position and preheat to 350°F. Roll put pie dough and carefully fit into pie dish. Trim edges and refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add ham and cook, tossing often until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. In a large bowl whisk together egg, milk, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once ham has cooled scatter it over the bottom of the pie pan, followed by grated swiss cheese. Pour egg mixture over ham and cheese and place in the oven. Bake until quiche lightly browned and puffy and center of quiche jiggles slightly when shaken, 30 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving. Quiche can be served at room temperature, or straight out of the refrigerator after chilling.