serves makes 14 to 16 cookies, active time 10 minutes, total time 25 minutes
- 14 tablespoons (7 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cup (12 1/4 ounces) packed light brown sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Adjust two oven racks to upper and lower middle positions and preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir butter, 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, and salt in a large bowl until combined. Stir in egg and vanilla until combined. Add flour, baking powder, and baking soda to bowl and stir until combined.
- Scoop 1/4 cup sized balls of dough onto baking sheets (7 to 8 per pan). Add remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar to now empty (unwashed) bowl. Roll each dough ball into sugar, return to pan, and press to about 1 inch thick.
- Bake until tops have puffed and cracked, and edges are golden, 9 to 11 minutes, rotating pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool.