serves Serves 12, active time 30 minutes, total time 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Move oven rack to the center position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, brown butter over medium heat, swirling the pan every so often. Once the butter has browned, transfer it to the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Let the butter cool slightly then cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides and beating until fully incorporated. Add in half of the flour mixture, mixing to combine, then add the milk and vanilla, finishing with the remaining flour. Beat in pumpkin until just combined then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan and bake for 60 minutes or a until cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes then invert and remove loaf from pan and finish cooling on a wire rack.