serves Serves 4, active time 10 minutes, total time 20 minutes
- 2 cups packed spinach leaves, stems removed
- 1/3 cup pistachios
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 medium clove garlic, coarsely chopped (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon juice from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pound chicken breast, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups cooked spiral pasta
- Add spinach, pistachios, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the spinach is roughly chopped, about 8 short pulses. Add cheese and continue pulsing until roughly chopped (you can hop more or less to taste), drizzling a little extra olive oil if pesto is too thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Season chicken cubes with salt and pepper. Heat butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat until foaming subsides. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until barely cooked through (check by cutting open a cube, it should be opaque all the way through), about 8 minutes.
- Fill four bowls with an equal amount of cooked spiral pasta, then divide the chicken evenly between each bowl. Drop a generous dollop of pesto into each bowl and serve immediately.