serves makes one 9-inch square cake, active time 15 minutes, total time 3 hours
- For Cake
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (7 ounces) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup
- 1 1/4 cup (6 1/4 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup pecan halves, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup (1 1/3 ounces) plus 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (or milk)
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 9- by- 9-inch baking pan. Whisk eggs, sugar, salt, and banana in a large bowl until completely combined. Whisk in pineapple (with liquid) until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and chopped pecans to the bowl, and then whisk until completely combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake until top is set and toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool completely, about 2 hours. Wash bowl.
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
In the same bowl (washed), stir cream cheese and sugar until combined. Whisk briefly until smooth. Gently whisk in rum (or milk). Spread over cooled cake and top with reserved pecan halves.