serves makes about 14 muffins, active time 20 minutes, total time 35 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 cups packed, grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 pieces thick cut bacon, cooked and diced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Butter or line 12 muffin cups or paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cayenne, pepper, and paprika. Add 1 cup cheese and bacon and stir until well combined.
- In a small saucepan or microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Let cool one minute then whisk in milk. Add egg and beat lightly until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to flour mixture. Stir until evenly combined.
- Pour batter 3/4 way up muffin cups. Sprinkle cups with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake muffins until golden on top and a cake tester comes out clean, about 15 minutes.