serves 6 to 8, active time 30 minutes, total time 30 minutes
- One 3- ounce package dry crab boil
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 3 pounds red-skin potatoes
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup finely grated cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a 6- quart pot two- thirds full of water and add the crab boil and 2 tablespoons salt. Stir until blended. Cut the potatoes in half, then into halfmoon slices ¼- inch thick. Add the potatoes to the pot. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until fork- tender. Drain and keep warm, covered in foil, in a low oven.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy; transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Add the red onion to the bacon grease and cook until lightly brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Just before the onion is done, add the garlic and cook until lightly brown. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, ½ cup of the cheese, half of the bacon, half of the green onion, the onion- garlic mixture, cayenne, paprika, sour cream, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix together thoroughly.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl; let stand for a few minutes, until the cheese starts to melt. Fold everything together, taking care not to break up the potatoes. Check the seasonings and adjust to taste. Top with the remaining cheese, bacon, and green onion.