serves 8, active time 20 minutes, total time 1 hour 15 minutes
- butter for greasing pan
- 1 ¼ cups Grape-Nuts cereal, divided
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 8 x 8 glass baking dish. Pour ¾ of a cup of Grape-Nuts in a medium bowl and set aside, reserve the rest for garnish.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk over medium-high until just shy of boiling. Pour milk over Grape-Nuts and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg until just combined. Once Grape-Nuts are finished soaking, slowly whisk 3 tablespoons of the warm milk into the egg mixture to temper the eggs. Then slowly pour the egg mixture into the milk and Grape-Nuts mixture whisking constantly until combined.
- Pour pudding into greased baking dish. Place the dish in a larger roasting pan and then fill the roasting pan with water until it reaches about half way up the side of the baking dish (about the depth of the pudding).
- Bake for 55 minutes or until pudding is set in the center. Cool and serve with vanilla ice cream and Grape-Nuts sprinkled on top.