serves Makes 4 (6 ounce) burgers, active time 20 minutes, total time 50 minutes
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plain fresh breadcrumbs (see note above)
- 24 ounces ground chicken
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (such as Tabasco), divided
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- Iceberg lettuce for garnish, optional
- Tomato for garnish, optional
- Stir milk and salt into bread crumbs in a medium bowl to moisten. Add chicken, 1/4 cup hot sauce, and butter, and mix gently with fingers until just combined (don’t overmix). Chill until slightly firm, about 30 minutes. Shape into four patties that are just wider than the buns.
- Stir blue cheese into mayonnaise; chill until ready to serve. Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add patties and cook until cooked through (155°F), about 3 to 4 minutes per side, basting the second side with the remaining hot sauce as they cook. Transfer to a plate and wipe out skillet with paper towel.
- Return skillet to heat and toast the flat sides of the buns in the empty pan. Serve the burgers with the blue cheese mayo, sprinkle with the chopped celery, and lettuce and tomato if desired.