For the marinade:
1 lb Chicken, cut into cubes
1 cup Yogurt
1 tbsp Cumin powder
1/2 tbsp Coriander powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
3 cloves Garlic, 1/2 inch Ginger–made into a paste or grated
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Chilli powder
For the sauce:
1 medium sized Onion, cubed
1/2 roasted Red Bell Pepper (about 1/2 cup when pureed)
1 tsp Cumin powder
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
3 Cloves, 1/2 inch Cinnamon, 2 Cardamom pods–ground into fine powder
1 tbsp Kasoori Methi (dried Fenugreek leaves, found in Indian grocery stores)
1/4 cup Cream
2 tbsp Tomato ketchup
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Oil
1/4 tsp of Chilli powder, or to taste
Salt to taste
Cilantro for garnish
How to make it:
- Marinade the chicken with all the ingredients for marination for about 20-30 minutes
- Grill or pan roast the marinated chicken and set aside
- In the mean time, roast the onions in the pan with a few drops of oil unil lighlty browned.
- Add the red bell peppers and cashew and toss them around for a couple of minutes. Take if off the stove and cool until ready to handle
- Blend the mixture into a fine puree. Add a few tablespoons of water if necessary.
- Heat a pan (you can use the same pan used for roasting) with a tablespoon of oil and a table spoon of butter.
- When the butter just melts, add all the powders (clove, cinnamon, cardamom powder, cumin and coriander) and saute until their aroma wafts around.
- Add the red bell pepper, onion and cashew puree and gently saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder and salt and the tomato ketchup. Mix well and add the cream.
- Crush kasoori methi in your hands before adding to the mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add the grilled chicken pieces and toss to coat well in the sauce.
- Check taste and adjust salt or chilli powder as desired.
- If you want a thinner consistency add a few more tablespoons of water and a sparing splash of cream. Gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with Naans (Indian bread) or Basmati rice.