serves serves 9, active time 5 minutes, total time 3 hours
- 2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (2 ounces) cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9- by 9-inch cake pan with butter.
- Place flour, cocoa, brown sugar, granulated sugar, instant coffee, baking soda, and salt in pan. Stir until completely combined. Make a 4-inch crater in the center of the flour mixture.
- Pour the oil, vinegar, and flour mixture into the crater. Stir to completely combine (there still may be a few small lumps). Wipe inside edge of extra flour/batter.
- Bake until center is just firm, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack, 2 to 3 hours. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve.