- 4 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 ½ pounds)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ cups basmati or other long-grain rice
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups fresh, frozen, or canned corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water or homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup picked cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges, for serving
Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the chicken, skin-side down and cook without moving until well browned, 7 to 9 minutes, flip and cook until browned on the other side, 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove the chicken and place on a plate. Pour off fat until 1 tablespoon remains. In the same skillet, add the peppers, onion, and jalapeno with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the oregano and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add the rice, beans, corn, and water or broth. Nestle the chicken back on top and bring the liquid to a boil and then lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover and cook until the rice and chicken are finished cooking, 15 to 20 minutes. Top with the cheese and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.