serves serves 10 to 12, active time 20 minutes, total time 1 hour 20 minutes
- 3 cups (15 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup diced, pitted cherries
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously butter bundt pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, espresso powder, and cocoa; set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together butter, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in eggs. Add 1/2 of dry ingredients to the bowl and beat until just combined, followed by 1/2 of milk. Beat in remaining dry ingredients followed by remaining milk. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in chocolate chips and diced cherries. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth out top. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out to a wire rack.