serves serves 4, active time 40 minutes, total time 40 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, washed, trimmed, sliced
- 6 ounces oyster mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 4 ounces white beech (or white mushrooms), washed, sliced (see note)
- Kosher salt
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless, chicken breast, cut across grain into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 bunches green onions, washed, trimmed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 12 ounces bow-tie pasta
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have softened and are beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in broth, scraping bottom of pan to loosen any browned bits. Add white pepper, chicken, and green onions to pan. Cook until chicken is just cooked through and green onions are beginning to wilt, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm
- In large pot bring 4 quarts water to boil over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta. Cook pasta until cooked but still quite firm (al dente) and drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid. Return pasta and chicken mixture to pot. Add sesame oil and toss until combined, adding reserved pasta cooking water to make saucier if desired. Season to taste and serve immediately.