Butter (for greasing pan)
2 c Grated raw potato
1/4 c Grated onion
1 Egg, lightly beaten
1 ts Salt
1 tb Flour
Olive oil (for brushing)
1 tb Olive oil
1 lg Onion, thinly sliced
2 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 ts Dried basil
1/2 ts Dried thyme
1 Med. cauliflower, coarsely chopped
1 c Grated Cheddar cheese
1/4 c Milk
Paprika (for sprinkling)
- Set the oven at 400F.
- Use butter to grease a shallow 9 inch baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the grated potato, onion, egg, salt, and flour.
- Transfer the mixture to the buttered pan and pat it down with a rubber spatula.
- Set the pan in the hot oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Brust the crust lightly with olive oil, return the pan to the oven, and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Set the pan aside.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 350F.
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil until it is hot.
- Add the onion, garlic, salt pepper, basil and thyme.
- Saute over medium heat for 8 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Spread half of the cheese on the potato crust.
- Spoon the sauteed vegetables on top, then sprinkle those with the remaining cheese.
- In a small bowl beat together the eggs and milk, and pour this over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle with paprika and transfer to the oven.
- Bake the cauliflower for 35 minutes or until the custard is set and the top is browned.
- Serve at once with a salad and crusty bread.