2-1/2 slices bacon, diced
1 tablespoon margarine
1-3/4 cups iceberg lettuce, julienne cut 1 1/2 to 2 inches lo
1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1-3/4 cups hot water
1-1/2 teaspoons chicken soup base
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
1/2 pinch ground nutmeg
1/2 pinch ground cayenne pepper
1/2 cup hot half-and-half cream
- In a heavy 3-quart saucepan cook bacon over medium heat until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Do not drain fat.
- Add butter or margarine and heat until melted.
- Stir in lettuce and saute 2 minutes.
- Blend in flour with a wire whisk.
- Stir over medium heat until well blended and evenly cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add hot water, chicken soup base, tomatoes, nutmeg, and red pepper.
- Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and gently boil 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Add cream, mixing well.
- Heat to simmering, stirring frequently.
- Serve hot, garnished with crumbled bacon bits.
Makes 4 Servings