2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into /2-inch pieces
8 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large egg
3/4 cup whole milk
1 lb apple, peeled, halved, cored and sliced crosswise into thin half-moons (2-3 apples)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the muffins:
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375.
- Grease and flour 12-cup muffin tin.
- Pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and cheese in food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal and transfer to large bowl.
- Whisk egg and milk in measuring cup, then slowly stir into flour mixture until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Arrange apple slices on top of batter, pressing gently to adhere.
- Bake until edges of muffins are just golden, about 15 minutes.
For the glaze:
- While muffins are baking, heat sugar, water, butter, lemon juice and cinnamon in saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Once edges of muffins are just golden brush muffins with glaze.
- Return to oven and bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 10 minutes.
- Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to rack.
- Cool 10 minutes longer.
Makes 12 Servings