1 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups white sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
2 tsp rum
1 tbsp grated key lime zest
2 tsp key lime juice
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter
2 tbsp key lime juice
3 tbsp rum
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
- Mix together the flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup shortening and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk mixing just until incorporated.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons rum, key lime zest, 2 teaspoons key lime juice,vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 90 minutes.
- Allow to cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Turn it out onto wire rack.
- While warm, prick top of cake with toothpick pour key lime glaze over warm cake.
- Cool completely.
To make Key Lime Daiquiri Glaze:
- In small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter and 2 tablespoons key lime juice.
- Bring to boil.
- Continue to boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons of rum.